Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Sour Blueberry Ice Cream



From looking at the final product you would think this was just any other bowl of delicious and totally innocent ice cream. Don't believe what you see. It is delicious and refreshing. However it wasn't so benign when it had splattered everywhere in the kitchen. Top and bottom cupboards, puddles on the counter, dripping down the front of my pants, staining the kitchen rug, the dog trying to lick at the heap of blueberry syrup on the floor. There was a lot of very creative swearing.

See I pictured this whole thing happening in my head as I was dumping the blueberry mixture into the blender and cringing, waiting for the worst possible thing to happen. Then it did. While I was tightening the blender pieces and making sure everything was put together properly to avoid disaster, it never occurred to me that the rubber disk that creates a seal in the bottom of the bowl could slip to the side and create a gap for evil purple liquid to escape from.

As soon as I poured the blueberries in the blender the chaos started. In the crevice where the glass bit of the blender meets the plastic base the liquid started spurting out. Not just drizzling or trickling. It was shooting out on the underside of the cupboard and on my arms. About a third of my precious blueberry mixture ended up on the counter. I tried to tighten the pieces hoping for the best. Crossing my fingers the whole time I blended and made a beautiful purple liquid with no other major issues.

I wrapped the blender in dish towels and added the heavy and sour cream prayed for no more spurting. And all was well until I went to pour the mixture into a bowl at which point the precarious rule of physics that was keeping the liquid from seeping everywhere left me. Half of the ice cream mixture ended up in the bowl, the other half on the floor. That any of it made it in the bowl was more than I had expected. Things were already a mess so I continued with this highly mistaken course of action, emptying the blender, putting what made it into the bowl into the refrigerator, out of my sight to cool off and began the laborious task of de-purpling the kitchen.

It didn't put up nearly as big a fight going into the ice cream maker but the whole time it was churning I was thinking “boy this better be good.” This was going to have to be awfully good ice cream to make up for the disaster.

In the end all I can say for it however is that it's interesting. Blueberries work really well with the tartness of the sour cream and it creates a nice rich velvety texture. Amidst all the drama I did manage to put in too much lemon juice (which I had to substitute since I had no lime) and most of my precious berries were in a puddle on the counter so it wasn't as delicious and sweet as it probably should have been. It's quite sour which isn't a bad thing it just isn't very dessert like.

I'd only recommend making this if you have much better luck than I do with blenderfuls of malevolent purple liquid. I've learned my lesson and will be keeping my blueberry obsession to very simple recipes from now on. Which mostly means if you need me I'll be standing in front of the refrigerator gorging myself on berries straight from the container. It's safer that way.


Sour Blueberry Ice Cream

1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen, if frozen, thaw and drain)
1/3 cup agave nectar
Pinch of salt
Grated zest of one lime
Juice of 1/2 a lime, or more juice to taste
3/4 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup sour cream

In a medium saucepan cook blueberries, sugar, salt, lime zest and juice over medium heat, stirring, until mixture boils and the berries pop and soften, about 4 minutes.

Pour the berry mixture into a blender and whirl until pureed, the mixture will not be completely smooth. Add the heavy cream and sour cream and pulse to blend. Taste and add a bit more lime juice or agave nectar if you choose.

Pour the blend into a bowl and refrigerate until it is chilled before churning into ice cream.

Original recipe from Noble Pig Blog.

1 comment:

Penny said...

My regular breakfast fare is similar to this, sans the ice cream making step. Maybe this will give you the taste without purple baby vomit on your ceiling!

For a quick fix try mixing frozen blueberries with equal amounts of the sour cream (or yogurt..) and cream, your agave nectar and the rest of the flavors you added. (I just eyeball the amounts.)

Stir it all together and the cream and yogurt will start to freeze up about the time the blueberries are beginning to thaw and turning the whole mix purple.

You will end up with a deliciously chunky mix of berries and frozen dairy delight. EXCELLENT on a really HOT day.

For the record, I usually use FF yogurt only and add an unnatural sweetener but the other day I was short on yogurt and used some cream to stretch the dairy part. HEAVEN in a bowl.

Kefir is also VERY good in this mix.

Bon Appetit!