Sunday, August 2, 2009

Super Simple Blueberry Carrot Salad



To celebrate getting back into the habit of blogging after a whirlwind month that included moving, I am giving you a salad that is both super simple and very delicious. I dare you to not love this salad. It's a healthful easy to make salad for the lettuce phobic or just someone tired of the same old romaine routine. Technically it doesn't even need a recipe just a combination of six ingredients you probably have in your kitchen on a regular basis.

Aside from the amazing minimalism of it this is a beautiful salad. The contrast between the blueberries and carrot in color is reveled only by the juxtaposition of the crunchy and then sweet soft berries. It was outstanding with a lean steak and a microbrewed local beer. This was the perfect meal to christen my kitchen with and I fully plan on preparing many more of the salads from this article in the New York Times. My life needs more simple, light, no fuss dishes and the dwindling days of summer seems like the right time to work my way through 101 salads.


Blueberry and Carrot Salad

2 carrots, ribboned or grated
1 handful fresh blue berries
1/2 handful sunflower seeds
equal parts olive oil and lemon juice
lots of black pepper

Grate or ribbon carrots into a bowl. Toss on blueberries and sunflower seeds.

Whisk oil, lemon juice and pepper together. Pour over carrot mixture. Toss to coat.

From a recipe suggestion by Mark Bittman in the New York Times The Minimalist column.

3 comments:

LindsayC said...

Welcome back! This looks delicious and I will be making it very soon.

Anonymous said...

After following your blog for ages, Em, simply in the interests of being friendly - I'm now on a low-carb diet myself, so suddenly every post has extra interest!

I made this salad for me and Anthony on Monday and it's fabulous! Very tasty, really crunchy and fresh and yes... no lettuce!

Emily said...

Welcome to the low-carb cult, Tim, we hope you enjoy your stay. Glad you enjoyed the salad.

Thanks for reading me and my crazy adventure.