Saturday, February 28, 2009

Food Processor Sorbet

So now that everything sweet or sugary is out of the question what's for dessert?

Montignac suggests yogurt, the very French post-meal cheese course, or an illusive thing known as sugarless chocolate. I say illusive because after checking everywhere but the co-ops I have not been able to find such a thing. The closest I got was a a dark chocolate that had beet sweetener in it. As intriguing as that sounds fructose is the only sweetener substitute that's allowed on the diet as it is the only one with a very low GI. This makes honey and Splenda both equally taboo and chocolate without sugar impossible to find.

I'm a little peeved, half of the reason I went on this diet was the promise of wine, chocolate and cheese (the other more important bit was the desire to keep my boyfriends feet from falling off) but after this city wide chocolate hunt I feel a bit lied to. Chocolate must be much different in Europe where the fixation on sugar is not as great because surely he doesn't mean for me to be eating bland chalky baking chocolate.

Having already given up sugar and most of my coffee I will keep hunting, I'm not willing to let chocolate go. If you can point me to a sugar and sweetener free chocolate you will be my new best friend.

Since I was made clear to me how hard finding chocolate would be I needed surrogate dessert fast to fill the gapping hole that was my obsession with after dinner treats. Thank goodness for the woman over at Diet, Dessert, and Dogs. Not only does she cook really delicious things with mostly natural unprocessed ingredients, gluten and meat free but she is also obsessed with her dogs. This is a person I would get along with. I found her blog at just the right time and I've been keeping a supply of her food processor sorbet in the freezer for my plentiful sweet tooth cravings ever since.

It is so easy it made me wonder why I had been buying $5 pints of sorbet in the grocery store. All it takes in a food processor and a handful of frozen fruit.

In honor of the Diet, Dessert and Dogs blog a gratuitous picture of my furry puppy.




Food Processor Sorbet

about 1/2 cup frozen berries (I've been using black and blue berries)
about 1/2 cup chopped frozen mango or pear (adds creaminess)
up to 1/4 cup plain soy milk or coconut milk
(the original recipe calls for 1/2 of a frozen banana as well which helps bind it together but has too high a GI for my purposes)

Chop everything into small chunks and throw it in the food processor until it looks like ice cream. You will probably have to scrape down the sides of the machine a couple times to get it to combine.

I make it while waiting for dinner to finish and put in the freezer while eating. That seems to be the perfect amount of time to solidify but not too much.


Original recipe from Diet, Dessert, and Dogs




No comments: