Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Cranberry Flax Seed Breakfast Muffins

 
Until this weekend breakfast had me stymied.

Gluten free bread is tough enough to make on it's own and calls for all sorts of esoteric ingredients like xanthan  gum or tapioca starch.  Unfortunately those celiac friendly starches that mixed together in perfect combinations emulate the dreaded but nicely sticky gluten in wheat are insanely high on the GI index and therefore a Montignac  no no.  And all the recipes for low fat, high fiber breads that would be Montignac friendly were too whole wheat dependent to modify for the gluten free.

This just wouldn't do.  So I spent a week searching the internet and all the gluten free cookbooks I could find for a solution.  It didn't exist so I gave up on bread and thought about other tasty breakfast options, something that wouldn't need yeast and would still be tasty while still being really dense.  Enter muffins.  Gluten free muffins would be much more forgiving than bread.  So I combined my original Montignac bread recipe with a vegan sorghum flour fruit muffin and hoped for the best.

I took all the fatty ingredients and most of the sweetener out of this recipe from the Whole Life Nutrition Kitchen and started adding back liquid in the form of skim yogurt, hoping that the old vegan trick of using flax seed as a binder and egg substitute would work.  And it did!

If I hadn't just told you these were healthy you would never know it.  They made the house smell amazing and it took all the will power I had to wait until breakfast to try one.  That morning the fella and I sat with our muffins, wide eyed with the tastiness of my creation.  I was so excited to have one I got out of bed at 7AM on my day off to partake in one.  I'm that big of a food nerd.  But I was not disappointed, these heavy little fruit packed chewy muffins are worth getting up early for.  The only thing that will make these muffins any better is baking them with fresh blueberries once they are back in season.

I fear however that this muffin success has gone to my head, I now have the desire to do all sorts of other combinations with this basic recipe.  Ginger pear.  Fig lemon.  Now that I know it works the fella is going to have an endless array of breakfast muffins to look forward to.  The poor guy, he has such a tough life.

Cranberry Flax Seed Breakfast Muffins

2 cups sorghum flour
2 tablespoons arrowroot
1 1/ 2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/ 2 teaspoon salt
1/ 2 teaspoon cardamom

1/ 2 cup applesauce
1/ 4 cup agave nectar
3/ 4 cup yogurt
2 teaspoon vanilla
1 orange zested
2/ 3 scant cup fresh squeezed orange juice
1/ 2 cup flax meal

2 cups fresh cranberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Well oil a 12 cup muffin tin or line with paper muffin cups.
In a large bowl mix together well the sorghum flour, arrowroot, baking soda, cream of tartar, xanthan gum, salt and cardamom.

In a separate medium bowl whisk together the applesauce, agave nectar, yogurt, vanilla, orange zest, orange juice.  When combined stir in the flax meal and let mixture sit for a couple of minutes until the flax meal has thickened and absorbed some of the liquid. 

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ones and mix together.  Add the cranberries and gently fold together.  The batter will be lumpy and thick, the consistency of a heavy banana bread or oatmeal, if it's too wet add a little flax meal, if too dry add a bit more orange juice.

Spoon the batter into the muffin tin, filling each cup to the top.  Bake for about 20 to 27 minutes or until slightly browned on the top and able to pass the tooth pick test.  Remove muffins from tin to cool completely.

Serve with a little sugar free jam and a small bowl of fat free yogurt with berries for a perfect low fat/high carb Montignac breakfast.

Modified and made Montignac friendly from a recipe at The Whole Life Nutrition Kitchen.

1 comment:

Monsignor Scott Rassbach said...

Oh, dreaded breakfast muffins! Please, do not subject me to such torture!

/sarcasm

These were REALLY REALLY good. Even if you're not on a gluten free diet, you should try them.