Thursday, March 5, 2009

Montignac Bread

Tomorrow night I'm having some friends over to share in the joy that is my obsessive cooking habit. Should be a great time. And to make sure I get to enjoy it I planned ahead and roasted the vegetables and garlic tonight so I'm not slaving away in the kitchen all evening tomorrow while everyone else gets into the wine. Added plus I even had good company to keep me from going crazy trying to figure out the recipes. I do enjoy some girl talk to pass the time so thanks for that you know who you are.

While the oven was on I also finally got around to making some acceptable bread for breakfast. We've been eating Kashi and soy milk all week because I just haven't had a spare moment to bake. And that's been about as delicious as chowing on whole grain wheat crumbs first thing after waking up.

Breakfast is the only meal of the day where bread is allowed so I'm planning on enjoying it from here on out. Hopefully this bread is as tasty as it smells unfortunately I can't tell you just yet because I would break all the rules eating bread at near midnight.

I can tell you it looks very yummy and is quite dense. So if nothing else it will do a very good job at filling us up until lunch comes around. And almost anything tastes fabulous with sugar free jam on it so I'm optimistic.




Montignac Bread

3 cups of stoneground wholegrain wheat flour
1 cup of rolled wholegrain wheat or oat flakes
1 cup of crushed oat kernels (I used flax seed)
3 teaspoons of baking powder (I substituted 3/4 tsp baking soda and 1 1/2 tsp cream of tarter)
1 teaspoon of salt
3 cups of milk (I used one cup plain yogurt and 2 of milk)

Preheat the oven for 390. Stir the dry ingredients thoroughly together in a large bowl. Add the milk and mix well. The dough should be moist. Pour the batter into a large bread pan and let it bake for about 55 minutes. This makes a very dense bread that will not rise much at all.

Original recipe from a message board I've since managed to lose.

2 comments:

Quincidence with a purpose said...

A+

Emily said...

It would be super easy to make celiac friendly too.