Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Crockpot Chickpea Casserole

As a friend of mine would say, this was a perfectly serviceable meal. There was nothing inherently wrong with it but at the same time I didn't fall in love with it. Something was missing from it but I can't figure out what. Salt and pepper didn't help. Red pepper flakes didn't help. Those were my only plans of action as I sat eating the left overs trying to figure out what to do to make it more exciting.

If we made this again I think it would benefit from doubling the red pepper and the quinoa to give it more flavor and texture. As it was there were probably too many chickpeas, which I love but at a certain point there really is such a thing as too many of them, they overwhelmed all the other ingredients. If you like spices this would be improved by upping the spices as well, even adding some others to it to give it a more complex flavor. However I have no further advice about spicing this dish up, it was nice to come home to on a long day but I can't honestly sing it's praises.


Crockpot Chickpea Casserole

1 red pepper, chopped (I would use 2 next time)
1 onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, sliced (we omitted these)
2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
1/3 cup quinoa, uncooked (I would at least double this)
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Combine all the ingredients in the crockpot. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours.

Remove the bay leaf and add salt and pepper to taste when ready to serve.

Original recipe from How to Make Love and Dinner at the Same Time.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've been eating a ton of "hummus salad" which has a lot of the same flavor profile as your casserole, but with the addition of a few tbsps of chopped olives and the zest/juice of one lemon. I'm wondering if stirring those in right before serving would brighten up the flavors?