Monday, February 22, 2010

The Year In Review

A year ago today I had the crazy idea to start this blog.  It seemed like a good way to motivate myself to stay on this diet by forcing myself to write about what I was cooking and share it with the world.  And it worked, I'm still sticking mostly to the Montignac Method after all this time, albeit on the maintenance phase these days.  And yes it's worked for me, I lost over 35 pounds and most of that was in the first 3 months of eating this way.  So this style of eating will help you lose weight it just takes a lot of self control and motivation to cook for yourself everyday.

Funny thing is along the way in writing about my adventures on this diet I started to enjoy doing the blog.  People started reading and enjoying the recipes which was a shock to me who expected to just be followed by my mom and a couple friends.  Then I blogged about cucumbers and things really got crazy around here.  Now I'm addicted to food blogging, entering my second year on this blog with no plans to stop posting.  Except the title of the blog might have to change slightly now to something along the lines of “A Year on the French Diet Part Duex.”

A lot happened this year.  The fella and I moved to a new place with a great kitchen.  We had a lot of parties where we “forced” our friends to eat really great food.  I found out I was allergic to gluten and had to learn how to cook gluten free.  I joined another blogI ribboned a lot of vegetables.  A lot of great wine was had. 

I had a blast and I'm glad you've all decided to take this journey with me.  Thanks to all my followers.  And an even bigger thanks to all my friends who on a daily basis talk food with me and never get sick of my culinary obsessions, especially those of you who come over to be a guinea pig for my latest creations.  A big thanks to my parents for coming over for holiday dinners at my place so I had something to blog about and especially for the amazing non stick pans.  And to the fella, I couldn't do this without you, thanks for all your support and I'm pretty sure you'll be sainted for helping with all those dishes.  And I didn't forget my fluffy dog friend, thank you for “vacuuming” the kitchen for me everyday.

There will be even more food, wine, and fun in the year to come so stick around.  In the meantime here is a round up of some of my favorite recipes.  And just so you can keep track of all my cook antics I started a Facebook group and am giving this Twitter thing a shot so follow me there too if you like.  I even included some of my biggest cooking disasters in the list for your amusement.

Now for a glass of wine to celebrate being a year old in blog years.
 

Favorite Main Courses
Almond Flour Pizza Crust   
Portobello “Steaks”
Sun Dried Tomato and Lentil Soup
Red Lentil Soup  
Lamb Korma
Asian Peanut Pork in the Crockpot 
Sushi Bowls
Salmon in Wine and Cream Sauce
Rigatoni With Caper Tomato Sauce 


Favorite Sides
Braised Cucumbers
Flowerless Naan  
Any of Mark Bittman's 101 Simple Salads
Beet Salad
Tapenade Salad
Cauliflower "Potatoes"
Puy Lentil Salad

Favorite Desserts and Breakfasts
Saffron Coconut Milk Ice Cream 
Hazelnut Brownies 
Chocolate Bacon Cake 
Flourless Beet Torte 
Brandied Cranberry Sauce
Quinoa Oatmeal
Cranberry and Flax Breakfast Muffins

Most Interesting Failures
Very Salty Quiche
Eggplant "Pizza"
Oxtail Rioja
The Modern French Culinary Art Cookbook

Blueberry Ice Cream

Best Wine
Cline Moudevre (or basically anything from Cline)
Snoqualme Nearly Naked Gewürztraminer
Aveleda Fonte Verde 
Optimus Chardonnay 
El Coto Rioja

No comments: