Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Frosted Green Beans with Sesame Seeds

Unfortunately I have no picture of these delicious beans to show you due to the fact that I was hiding under a blanket on the couch and cursing the world while they were being prepared. I have a nasty feeling that I've managed to catch the plague of ickiness that is going around town especially the call center I work in 40 hours a week. Therefore cooking duties were passed on to the fella this evening. He gets major boyfriend brownie points because not only did he take care of me, he dealt with me saying none of our planned recipes sounded good and then managed to make a really great meal that stuck to the insane parameters of what I thought I could handle eating.

He marinaded some salmon fillets in equal parts soy sauce and sesame oil, then pan fried them, it was simple but amazing. This is what is known in our house as “butt fish”, as in a really great secret discovery that was created and will be used again by using ingredients one of us has pulled randomly out of our bum. I eat a lot of different varieties of “butt chicken” when I cook for myself. Let me tell you our lingo gets confusing when other people are around, there is a lot of slang and secret codes used.

Following the sesame seed theme he also whipped up some Sesame Green Beans which were a breeze to make and were shockingly good. It worked even though green beans are way out of season at the moment, I can only imagine making these again in a few months with less anemic beans. Yum. I'm always so pleased when a simple recipe turns out to be a keeper, something that takes so little effort that it can be enjoyed often.

So here's to the fella for making the best comfort food butt dinner a sniffly girl could ask for.


Frosted Green Beans with Sesame Seeds


4 cups green beans, trimmed
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
2 tablespoons butter
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1 lemon, zested and juiced
oil for drizzling


Cook the beans in salted boiling water for about 10 minutes, drain and set aside. While waiting for beans to boil put sesame seeds in a pan over medium high heat and toast, agitate them regularly so they don't burn then set aside in a small bowl.


In the same frying pan melt butter then add scallions and cook over low heat for about 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in the lemon juice and zest then add beans to pan, season with salt and pepper and simmer for another 5 to 10 minutes.


Transfer beans to a serving dish and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and drizzle with a small amount of oil. Mix thoroughly and enjoy.


Original recipe from The Silver spoon Cookbook.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yum! I love the flavor combo of green beans and lemon. I think I may make that for dinner tonight. Now I just need a main dish, since Picky McPickyPants doesn't like salmon.